Power Centers, multiple inverters [RE-wrenches]

Allan Sindelar, Positive Energy, Inc. allan at positivenergy.com
Wed Feb 14 16:41:09 PST 2001

Wrenches,
I'm in the process of designing a large grid-backup residential system, and
I don't have a Powercenter.  Is Pulse currently alive? Anybody have them do
custom work lately? Is there anybody else doing listed power centers?  I
would like something like a PC500 in 48V, but with no AC section, no charge
controller (I prefer to use multiple RVPP Solar Boost 3048s, mounted
separately), and maybe (see below) 3 DC175 breakers for 3 inverters.

Related question: Has anyone used the SW parallel stacking interface? Does
it work?  This is a BIG residential system; the G.C. (general contractor)
wants more AC capacity, but I have recommended no inverter stacking, either
series or parallel, in order to maximize simplicity and reliability. It has
been my experience that as system size exceeds proven thresholds, problems
increase disproportionately. G.C. wants to tell client that the house "can
run off the solar"; I said whoa!: no load analysis (not really possible),
too many unknown and big honkin' loads.  Rather, let's run many AC
distribution home runs, dual AC breaker panels (grid and inverter) with
gutters and close nipples between them so circuits can be switched if
needed, but let's live within the practical limits of the system, letting
grid-only handle the rest.  Advice?

Another related question: As it is, the two planned SW5548s will be
unstacked; any 240VAC loads will be run off the grid-only AC panel.  Has
anyone ever done a third inverter?  The G.C. asked about this option; I
replied I'd never been asked, but it's doable, providing that output goes to
a completely separate 120VAC load center, to run dedicated loads.  I would
imagine a [separate "DC subpanel" to inverter to AC load center] to run the
invisible luxury home needs like sump pumps, etc.  Sort of: one inverter for
motor/surge loads, one for sensitive (data/audio/video/electronic) loads,
one for lighting/appliances/house loads. Can BU grid battery charging
include the third inverter? Advice?

Thanks, Allan @Positive Energy

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com