BP panels [RE-wrenches]

carl reuter creuter at rocketmail.com
Fri Feb 2 20:25:50 PST 2001

Wrenches: I appreciate the feedback given on the various single
crystalline modules available and have thought the BPs were a good
design and figured they might edge the siemens modules out for top
honors until I ran into an article called the "Ten worst companies of
2000" in mother jones online mag,     www.mojowire.com  and they
were near the top of the list. Heres why.
BP Amoco
In one year, BP Amoco made quite a name for itself as a nasty oil
company:

In February, BP Amoco's Alaska subsidiary -- BP Exploration (Alaska)
Inc. -- was hit with a $500,000 criminal fine for failing to report
the illegal disposal of hazardous waste on Alaska's North Slope. The
company was also ordered to establish a nationwide environmental
management system designed to prevent future violations.
BP Amoco has also paid $6.5 million in civil penalties to resolve
allegations that the company illegally disposed of hazardous waste
and violated federal drinking water law.

The company is now constructing a controversial offshore oil project
in the Arctic, and heavily lobbying Congress to open the Arctic
National Wildlife Refuge to drilling.

In April, BP Amoco agreed to pay $32 million to resolve claims that
it underpaid royalties due for oil produced on federal and Indian
lands since 1988.

In July, BP/Amoco agreed to pay $10 million to settle a Clean Air Act
case.

That makes me want to rethink the issue of whose products I'm using.
Carl Reuter

=====

Land and Sea Solar, Renewable Energy Systems.  Email: carl at landandseasolar.com

   Phone:831-252-5040     Web:  www.landandseasolar.com