Trace wish list...Add an Item [RE-wrenches]

Jim Hartley grail at inil.com
Fri Jan 26 15:39:23 PST 2001

I don't think this has been covered. I'd like to have made available
from Trace [and other mfrs] a field installation informational kit.
This would include CURRENT copies of all those installation manuals
and service notes for product we expect to promote, sell and install.
The idea would be to request such a thing and be added to some
registered recipient list.  Maybe they have to charge some nominal fee
for that sort of thing but that would be cheaper for me than to waste a
lot of my time sitting around printing out all this stuff from download
and then collating it all in some sensible fashion.  I don't have a lot
of time for secretarial activity.  I don't make money that way.
Anything that forces me to do too much work making no money is something
I'm going to question rather soon.

In addition to this official "subscription" service we'd get any
pertinent updates on new things as they emerge.  Further, this
"subscription service" would include information on any known "bugs" and
how to rectify these based on field experience.  Finally, of course,
provide emergency contact info for those occasions when you are really
stumped.  I suspect all these various considerations exist now to some
degree but they should be very neatly wrapped up in some coherent
"service package" that one can keep on file for consultation plus CARRY
AROUND if need be.

I know you can download the manuals from their webpage but that's a pain
and time consuming.  It's also expensive when you consider how much
printer paper and ink you go through.  Unless you have sold the product
before, you may not have the factory installation documents to read
prior to the fact.  I like to read about what I'm supposed to be doing
first, well in advance of when the actual work happens, even before the
unit shows up. Am I beating  a dog that's been beaten to death already
here?  If so, my apologies.  But I just can't rationalize spending a lot
of my time gratis solving peculiar and irksome problems that should have
been seen at the factory level.

Is such a "package" available? If so, how does one get it?  If not, why
not?  If maybe, how soon?  I know automobile dealerships have such a
thing for their service purposes.  That seems to work better for them
than calling on the next dealer down the road to see what he may
possibly know about some problem or other.

Jim Hartley
http://www.homestead-specialties.com
Business Email: JamesHartley at homestead-specialties.com
Direct Email: grail at inil.com