Funky, funky Trace inverter... [RE-wrenches]

Jim Hartley grail at inil.com
Thu Jan 4 16:14:19 PST 2001

Here's a situation that just cropped up with a client who has a new
DR2524 he just installed on his own.  It would appear to be a problem
with the search mode function as near as I can tell.  The inverter is
NOT currently being used to charge batteries, hence is not connected to
the AC.  It's just being used for inversion purposes.  There is a solar
array charging the batteries and he has been doing makeup battery
charging using a DC power supply [separate AC battery charger].

With search mode deactivated, loads will function but, obviously, not
automatically.  As I understand him, tweaking anywhere through the
search mode scale settings, a 60 watt test light [or even two] will just
flicker and/or go on and off repeatedly while the search mode process
continues its tick, tick, tick, looking for something to power up.  Has
anyone experienced something similar to this?  And, if so, what can you
relate about what may be happening here?  This person lives some
distance from me and isn't real convenient except by phone or email.
Consequently, what I'm relating comes from him via the telephone.  I
have not seen what is going on personally nor am I that familiar with
this system arrangement he has configured.

Oh, one other thing he mentioned.  His inverter AC crosses a 15 amp
breaker entering the dedicated house circuit.  He found that his
generator backup caused the breaker I mention above to trip numerous
times.  This was found to be owing to a problem with his house wiring
which is older wiring.  Something to do with the generator's GFI sensing
characteristic not liking this older wiring he had in his house.  He
"fixed" this problem by, in essence, by using a 3 prong / 2 prong plug
converter on the genset output connected to the circuit in question
here.   This may have nothing to do with the inverter problem, but it's
hard to tell what's going on from a distance with a situation like this.
I don't think the genset is even powered up when the inverter problem I
mentioned is being seen.
Jim Hartley
http://www.homestead-specialties.com
Business Email: JamesHartley at homestead-specialties.com