Fresnel Concentrators [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters remotech at taosnm.com
Sun Dec 17 10:56:10 PST 2000

Hi wrenches:

I have 50 Kw of Entech Fresnel lens concentrators available from a
commercial project we salvaged. I have adapted a Wattsun tracking system
for them. We can put together 750 watt and 1500 watt arrays, 12v - 48 vDC
nom. We sell them w/ tracker and adapter framing for $2500 or $3500. Thats
less than $2.50 / watt including tracker and framing. We could sell the
modules themselves for under $1/ watt.
Yes Ian they are big( 10'L, 3',x 3', 130lb.) but they're not ugly. I've
installed several systems over the past 3 years with only probs with the
Wattsun's electronics. Ron Corio at Array Technolgies has remedied those
problems (lightning damage most common). I run my business and home off a
750 watt version. On a clear day you can count on about 5 Kwh/day. Winter
they are more efficient, but in the summer, the days are longer so output
is close to equal. Degradation isn't a problem with extraterrestrial grade
(satellite) cells. Entech has some of these at Sandia labs: they've got
close to 20 years on them. Concentration is 22 times. Entech is currently
developing 200+ concentration for satellite applications. The key is cell
technology. These are NOT anything like regular flat plate cells that we
install residentially.
The main issues with concentrators are direct normal insolation and
tracking. They're output goes to nothing in a hurry in cloudy weather and
is reduced more than for flat plate in hazy conditions. Also, tracking has
to be within 10 minutes ( clock time) of actual sun position to work.
Entech originally rolled these back and forth in 20 module racks of their
own manufacture. Array Technologies's Wattsun tracker is the only
commercially available system we've found accurate enough for the Entech
modules.
	Good applications for these systems are high power requirements on tight
budgets, clear weather, and excellent dawn to dusk solar exposure. These
things will start making power at 5:30 AM in the summer. I still put up
more flat plate than these for those reasons. Usually a customer with high
power needs has some serious money to put into a regular system. An ideal
application would be some small community or commercial power system where
we could put all the rest of them up in one place.

Ray Walters
Remote Tech,Inc.

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com