shunt rigging [RE-wrenches]

Bob Ellison, Alternative Energy Systems ellison at gisco.net
Sat Dec 16 20:39:09 PST 2000

I have a friend who rebuilds starters and alternators. (Yes he is handy to
have around at times)
He has an old surplus Navy dial type amp meter that reads 0 - 500 amps. Here
is the question, he needs up to 1000 amp readouts.
It lists a standard 50/500 shunt on the meter. If he puts 2 of them in
series and takes the voltage drop readings from the ends can he just double
the dial readings?
I think it would work but thought I would ask......
The load only is on for around 15 seconds for a test so I don't think it
would overheat the shunt that fast.

What do the collective minds think??

Thanks,
Bob Ellison