Dual DR's [RE-wrenches]

John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind cvsolar at aol.com
Sat Dec 16 18:06:48 PST 2000

Hi Wrenches,
    As I sit on my rain and wind swept mountainside listening to Prairie Home
Companion, I am thinking of ways to provide budget systems for the poorer
folks in the area who need to run well pumps (fairly common in this area).  I
have been testing the DR1524 running my house for the last two weeks and so
far I am quite impressed with the results.  I have run all house lights,
stereo and TV, computer and propane furnace(450 watts-manually switching
blower on as the mod square will not work the controller) and my wife asked
me if she could turn on the microwave.  I guess I like living on the edge so
I said OK and continued the test of an inverter that is already sold... to be
installed next week.  So far, no problems.  It does seem to be sluggish at
charge rate from a 2200 watt generator which according to the documentation
for the DR is normal.  It will be running off a 3600 watt Honda in its
permanent home and should charge somewhat better.

Since this is the least expensive DR inverter, and Trace says it will handle
3500 watts for 1 minute,  what do you think about using dual stacked DR1524's
to run a well pump.  Has anyone done this or with the bigger DR's.  This
would be cheaper than a PS2512 and theoretically could deliver more power.

Another question.  Has anyone used Tekris Power Electronics, Inc in New
Jersey for repairs of Trace inverters.  I have an SW4024 on its way to them
for repair.  They were recommended by Trace's repair dept in Arlington WA and
Chris from Tekris has been extremely responsive to questions emailed to him.

Another DR1524 test note.  I am running my breadmaker, two computers, house
lights and stereo with good results.  I do notice a little voltage drop when
the breadmaker heating element kicks on but otherwise it is quite steady.
Since I am planning to get rid of the propane furnace at some point, I am
seriously considering downsizing to a DR1524 for a long term test.  I like
the idea of the 8.4 watt idle load.

I'm starting to sway from my previous philosophy of standardizing and selling
everyone an SW4024 when possible.  I guess it is the dilemma of efficiency
and marginality vs more income and robustness.  I guess I should get back to
work before I drive myself nuts with these questions.

John
CVSolar
Powered tonight by a BWC1500.

To send a message: