SW Compatibility Was: MonitorÆg== brand kerosene heaters

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Tue Dec 12 08:02:09 PST 2000

Bill and Steve,

Yes, I have a 1800HP on loan from the local (mid west) distributor who lives
in the same town as me. It still works on the utility.  When I tried to run
it with the 4048 the inverter was not sleeping.  It does seem like it ran it
before off the inverter.  When I get a chance I'll try it again.   I am very
impressed with the unit.  I've measured the drop across the coil at over 50
degrees in heat pump mode and uses under 700 watts.  It still has a good
starting surge (2x) but not near as bad as other motors that start under
load that I've measured before.  Compare it to a 1500 watt space heater that
only uses 700 watts.  I am figuring a average COP of 2.

FWIW, I always tell my customers that they might loose an appliance or two
and some might not work at all on inverter power.  "It's not just a
independent energy system, It's an adventure!"  It's crap that solar energy
is advertised as "cleaner, purer etc" than grid power and I don't appreciate
Trace and others advertising as such.  Even the purest of inverters commonly
available to us (Exeltech) still injects a little noise on sensitive
equipment sometimes.  Even with its draw backs RE equipment is still very
impressive.

Travis
----------
>From: "Bill Loesch, Saint Louis Solar" <bill_loesch at compuserve.com>
>To: "INTERNET:RE-wrenches at topica.com" <RE-wrenches at topica.com>
>Subject: SW Compatibility  Was: MonitorÆ brand kerosene heaters [RE-
>Date: Fri, Dec 8, 2000, 11:27 PM
>

>RE-wrenches said:
>>They all worked great but the Toyotomi won't run off my 4048.<
>
>Travis,
>
> I assume you have theToyotomi 1800? Any idea why? Does it _still_ work on
>utility power?
>My Toyotomi 1200 has never given me a problem on a ProSine 1000 or utility
>power. According to the specs I have, the 1800 would also work on a 1000
>watt inverter. The rotary compressor in these air conditioners minimizes
>starting loads which makes any battery inverter combo happy, especially the
>lightweight  Statpower SW products.
>
>Steve Wiley commented that he had discovered a mass marketed TV that also
>was Trace SW resistant (no damage, just inop).
>Someone noted a bread maker that was also Trace SW inop.
>
>The Trace MSW units _advertize_ "you can use the same appliances you use at
>home". Then when you read 5 pages in the back of the  Owner's Manual (one
>page titled Problem Loads) they tell you since you've bought a "modified
>square wave inverter" you are your own testing agency and "Trace assumes no
>responsibility for failure of a particular product in your application!"
>Probably not long before the SW manual also has a similar caveat, if the
>Truth in Advertizing folks are on their toes. <Rant Off>
>
>Any comments on the heat pump function?
>
>Bill Loesch
>bill_loesch at compuserve.com
>tel / fax 314 631 1094