battery box fan [RE-wrenches]

Bob Ellison, Alternative Energy Systems ellison at gisco.net
Wed Nov 22 10:00:31 PST 2000

For the last couple years I have been using a Radio Shack blower for venting
battery boxes.
It is Cat. # 273-260
Described as a 12 volt DC brushless blower (Squirrel cage). The size is
3"x3"X1" Power consumption is .18 amp @ 12 volt
It turns @ 2600 rpm and is reverse polarity protected and according to the
diagram on the box it pushes over 8 CFM. With a SW inverter you can use a
relay to turn it on, otherwise I just put it on a lit switch (outside the
battery case) they can turn on when equalizing the batteries. I put the
blower into a piece of conduit and seal it with silicone to vent the gas and
if the pipe rises enough it seems to self vent well enough for all but
equalizing the batteries.
Hint, DO NOT try to run it on 24 volt, it will not work and I just can't
seem to get the smoke back in the case!

The reason I am bringing this up is they're are discontinuing it and they
are $5.97 while they last.
You might want to check them out, they work nice.

Bob Ellison

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages: