ST & DR vd. SW [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Fri Oct 20 10:25:35 PDT 2000

What I did was to prove that you could produce more usable/sellable kWh's
with the same array for less money.  I'm not proposing that we actually
promote this as a solution or retrofit.  I think that grid tied for
residential is a bad idea when there is so many other opportunities in that
same house to save a lot more kWh's for a lot less money than selling power
back to the grid.

If I was to install a DR and a ST I would make no effort to ever charge the
batteries from the solar.  Why bother, the DR has a built in charger? The
batteries are not there to be charged from solar, they are there to back up
the critical loads in the house for a day or so.  99% of the power outages
in the US are less than a few hours.  The ST is there so provide as many
kWh's as possible for the house and to sell to the grid.

Again I proved that you can produce more kWh's with this set up for less
money than with a SW by itself.  Plus less complications and user management
is required in this set up.

No matter what you do to a SW you cannot produce as many kWh's a ST (or any
battery less inverter).  The batteries pull the array off its power point
and you still are floating the batteries with the solar or other RE source.

I agree with Kurt that we just might be asking for two much from one piece
of hardware.

Travis

----------

----------