Cali lead [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch, Home Power michael.welch at homepower.com
Mon Oct 16 15:18:54 PDT 2000

Hello Kurt & other wrenches. This may be a GREAT long- to mid- term prospect. The Yuroks are in my back yard, and I am in touch with them. I have offered my help in answering their questions and keeping the project on track, but I do not do installations. They have solid plans for only one system for one of their elders right now, but it probably would work into a bunch of systems in the next year or so. They should have a request for bids available soon.

Wes Edwards (hey, he's a great wrench, how come he's not participating here?) put in the seven systems mentioned a few years back, and they are now also interested in training the owners and helping to start a maintenance department to keep the systems going. Tom Starrs had some kind of a contract with them to help out with the systems and give the hydro site a good once-over. Arne Jacobsen was Tom's man on the job.

I have known of their desire for PV for about a decade. They have had problems in the past pulling together their bureaucracy to get PV installed for their members, but my hit is that they've got the money and the wherewithal to get it done now.

The other thing they have been talking about doing is a micro-hydro system for a mini-grid, a bit bigger than what we home-scale folks are used to.

Even though this is a one-system shot at this time, it could work into something much larger in the not-to-distant future.

kurtj12 at aol.com wrote at 01:50 PM 10/16/2000 -0700:

>anyone interested in this lead in cali.
>name: Amanda Mager
>
>company: Yurok Tribe
>
>address1: 1034 Sixth Street
>
>city: Eureka
>
>state: CA
>
>zip: 95501
>
>country: US
>
>phone: (707) 444-0433
>
>comments: We are developing a solar energy program for our members who live
>off the grid.  We currently have seven units and are looking to install more.
>  I would like information including pricing on home systems that can support
>a home which is approximately 900-1200 sq. ft. including a washer, dryer,
>microwave, t.v., radio, satellite, and other small household appliances.
>Thank you for your time,
>Mandy

Michael Welch

------------------------
"Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top."

			Edward Abbey

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com www.homepower.com
      Associate Editor, Home Power magazine
      Office Coordinator, Redwood Alliance
      (Not HP mag's #s) 707-822-7884 fax: 707-822-3481

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com

The archive of previous messages:

To unsubscribe send a message to: