Converting to DC blower motor [RE-wrenches]

Roy Butler, Four Winds RE roy at four-winds-energy.com
Sat Sep 30 15:50:05 PDT 2000

One of the best and worst things about this business we're in....every time
we turn around, there's yet another thing we must learn to do our
job...ain't it great?
    Here's what I need to figure out...hopefully with the help from the
folks who have done this before. I have a large wood furnace which heats my
workshop, office and showroom. A built-in thermostat controls 2- 1/7
horsepower AC blowers which produce a combined air flow of 1300 CFM.
Between these 2 power hogs, 360 watt-hours of electrons are murdered. I
have wanted to switch to a single 24 VDC motor for some time now but one
thing stops me....what do I do about that thermostat? It's rated for AC
only and I'm aware of what's supposed to happen to AC contactors when used
with DC.
    So....does the arcing problem that's associated with DC mostly occur at
the higher voltages? If so, then I'm OK....if not, what should I use
instead? And....any recommendations for a good (read affordable!) DC double
shaft motor? Doesn't have to be double shaft....quite likely I'll stick to
my original plan and convert this to a single motor/blower.
    Anyway....I'm open to any and all suggestions!
Roy Butler
Four Winds RE

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com