saving old 'new' batteries [RE-wrenches]

carl reuter creuter at rocketmail.com
Wed Aug 23 22:57:04 PDT 2000

Steve: I thought it was interesting what you'd
mentioned of Trojans claim that 60% of batteries left
a year without charging will not recover. I have a
friend that I sold 4 trojan golf cart batteries to at
least four years ago and he never did a thing with
them until a few months ago. They had so much of the
electrolyte evaporate out that the plates were
exposed. Naturally I told my buddy they were toast but
he wanted to see if he could breath life into them so
I said if he wanted to waste his time then at least
equalize them. He claimed they came back up and were
holding. Of couse I was sceptical but when I went over
there we put 20 amps of load on them and they only
dropped 2 tenths of a volt in the first minute. I'm
baffled because they act like a reasonably fresh
battery. It defies everything I've been taught.Of
course the real acid test would be to run them flat
and track capacity.Anyone else have this
experience.Carl Reuter

=====
Land and Sea Solar, email: creuter at rocketmail.com     Phone: 1-831-477-7762

http://mail.yahoo.com/