two Trace SW4048's in parallel [RE-wrenches]

David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light ipl at sover.net
Sat Aug 19 12:52:13 PDT 2000

Wrenches,

We are adding a second SW4048 onto a system for two reasons.
	1) To increase the speed of battery charging (system has a large 120/240
Kohler genset).

      2) To provide backup inverter power in case one of the SW4048's should
fail.

This is a 120 volt system only so we will not be series stacking the two
SW4048's. The client
also does not need any more power on one circuit than one SW will supply.

Our idea is to keep the SW4048's independent of each other and simply wire
each inverters
output hot wire to a different leg in the AC load center. We have
successfully done this with
two Exeltech 1100's and I don't see why this should not work with SW4048's.
It is relatively
easy to balance the home's various circuits so that all of the big loads
will not be fed from
one inverter. For instance we will make sure that the water pump and washing
machine are fed from
different inverters.

By doing it this way we will save our client the $ 345 for the Trace SWI/PAR
paralleling kit.
Plus the extra labor to install, and the added system complexity.

We wanted to float this idea out to the list in case we are missing
something.

David Palumbo
IP&L

To send a message: