MIXED PANEL ARRAY'S [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Mon Aug 14 11:55:36 PDT 2000

Gang,

I am doing some work for the USFS on small shower house system.    I need to
change out the charge controller, a Morningstar 30.  I have yet to have one
of those last more than a couple of years and don't use them anymore.

The system currently is 12 volts with all 6 modules parallel on #12 wire
going about 25 feet to the charge controller.  Needless to say the wire was
a little warm.    I am going to add a Trace Combiner Box and if I the a
Solar Boost 50 turn the 6 modules @ 12 volts into 3 sub arrays at 24 volts.
 If I use the Solar Boost 50 I can run the array @ 24 volts and keep the
batteries at 12 volts.
Even with the Solar Boost 50  they still need some more array though.  They
are pretty picky about using non-breakable modules which limits me to
UniSolar.   They currently have Duravolt 50's  (MPP 2.9 amps @ 16.56 volts)
which are polycrystal with the clear tedlar instead of glass fronts.  Is
MPPT going to work mixing amorphous and polycrystalline modules?  Is MPPT as
effective with Unisolar's as they supposedly have a much lower MPP voltage?

Thanks
Travis Creswell

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com