Trace SW FET damage [RE-wrenches]

Tom Elliot telliot at wagonmaker.com
Wed Aug 9 09:43:38 PDT 2000

I know this is a rather long post but I thought I'd let you all know the
current state of my dealings with Trace concerning the damaged FETs and
genset overvoltage conditions.  If anyone else has any ideas as to how such
damage could occur I'm all ears, especially in light of Pat Kiernan's
getting much the same information from a Trace tech on FET damage as I did
originally.

The series of posts included here are in "bottom up" format
Geoff,

That is all rather fascinating.  The unit arrived yesterday in good shape
(no box damage) though I haven't unpacked it yet.  I have to wonder what
could have "corrupted" the data on the oscilloscope that I used for only the
load pattern that was out of spec and not the rest of the data that showed
in spec.  Any ideas on that?  Since you seem to feel that the problem is on
my end I would certainly appreciate any suggestions you might have as to
what could have caused the condition to show up on the unit or the
oscilloscope at that particular load.  It would give me some help in
troubleshooting the problem at my end, if there is one.

Also, I have never gotten a good answer as to what could have caused the
extensive FET damage to my original unit.  If, as you say, the generator
couldn't do it, and the FETs are so well protected, how could they have
become damaged?  I'm certainly not doing anything out of the ordinary with
my system.  It is installed correctly, grounded correctly, and never loaded
too heavily.  So what could have caused it?

Also, I just noticed on the Wrench list that a Wrench had gotten essentially
the same information as I had from one of your techs, i.e. that the damaged
FETs were due to an overvoltage on the AC input.

Thanks for checking out my unit, I appreciate the help with this.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Tom Elliot
Guffey Energy Works
Solar Energy Education