Help with SW problem... [RE-wrenches]

Roy Butler, Four Winds RE roy at four-winds-energy.com
Tue Aug 1 13:28:12 PDT 2000

I sure hate to admit I'm stumped, but here goes...I have a customer with a
single SW4024 who says her appliances keep burning out. So far (she says)
she's had several appliances fail...her TV, furnace, washing machine,
microwave and today...her refrigerator. Needless to say, she's pretty
ticked off. My question to her was why did she tell me after the
fact....these appliances failed over a 6 month period. I did not get a
chance to look at the old appliances...I do know that the microwave was
over 15 years old (!) as is the fridge. No clue on the TV or washer age.
The furnace was only 1 year old (an oil burner) and it blew up! According
to the insurance adjuster, oil accumulated in the combustion chamber and
then ignited. I know how oil burners work and this sounded like a control
problem to me...aren't there safety controls in place to prevent this from
happening??
System specs: SW4024 (w/ DC250) set to float mode w/ grid usage timer set
to charge during off peak nighttime hours...900 watts of solar w/ Trace
TC60 controller...1050 AH battery bank (Surrette CH375)...and all working
according to specs. I have LA302AC surge arrestors in both the grid fed
breaker box and the inverter fed sub-panel...LA302DC arrestors in both the
DC250 and the sub-array combiner box. System and house grounding is up to
code, as is my installation...I've done a lot of these SW installations and
not had any problems until this one. I'm stumped!!!
Please let me know if you have heard of similar problems or if you think of
anything else I should check!
Sleepless in NY
Roy Butler
Four Winds RE