gen out-of-gas and 4024 damage [RE-wrenches]

Tom Elliot telliot at wagonmaker.com
Tue Jun 27 16:45:10 PDT 2000

I have images of the data I got during a test of my 4024 recently.  This was
problems with overvoltages and FETs.  The images can be found at
http://www.wagonmaker.com/tracedata.html

This is on the replacement 4024 I put in after sending in my original unit
for repair.  Unfortunately, before I heard back from the tech on the problem
with the original unit I allowed the generator to run out of gas again
during a charging cycle.  My suspicions are that even that one incident was
enough to start the damage again to the FETs.

>From looking at the data is is apparent that at certain loads the inverter
is putting out power at greater than 5% THD and at others the THD is within
spec.

I'd love feedback on this and also any ideas anyone has for further testing.
I have access to some pretty good test equipment (which is mostly over my
head) so I can probably provide a lot of info.

The data on the website was taken from a Fluke 97

Tom Elliot
Guffey Energy Works
Solar Energy Education
http://www.wagonmaker.com