Todd/Honda problem [RE-wrenches]

David Palumbo, Independent Power & Light ipl at sover.net
Wed Jun 14 14:00:41 PDT 2000

Problem: Honda EU 3000 IS (inverter output) generator goes into protection
mode (breaker like disconnection from load) when powering two Todd 75 amp
(seriesed for 24v output) battery chargers.

What we know: The Todd's use 1070 watts each under full load, they use 1475
watts under maximum load and 80 amps inrush current for 5 milliseconds (Todd
Engineering gave me the latter two numbers yesterday).
	The Honda gen is rated for 3kw max and 2875w continuous power (120v only).
It tests out on a resistive load bank with the protection feature opening at
30amps. With the 225 amp hour battery bank (small but ok for the application
and pocketbook involved)at 85% state of charge, or more, the gen powers the
chargers fine.

I thought the generator would be able to handle this load ok. Wrong. So my
question to the more electronically savvy wrenches out there is: Will wiring
a capacitor across the Honda's output help the gen deal with the surge that
is shutting it down? And what type of capacitor, motor start or motor run?
And what Microfarad rating?

Thanks for your time,

David Palumbo

To send a message to the list use: <RE-wrenches at topica.com>