PV Aesthetics [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Mon Jun 5 15:25:22 PDT 2000

Michael,

As engineers, we tend to think of solar panels as great looking, and as
energy activists, we tend to think that looks don't matter. But as sales
people and marketers, we need to understand that aesthetics can often make
or break the sale. It is pretty useless to try to convince someone that
anything they think is ugly is actually beautiful. Time is better spent
figuring out a different way to solve the problem, different colored
panels, mounting them farther away, etc. Often, aesthetics cost money, but
people are actually more willing to pay for aesthetics than they are solar.

This is best evidenced in the infant BIPV market. My understanding is that
most installations happen because the architect involved likes the look,
and oh by the way these things also produce power. So working with this
will help to create more sales. This doesn't mean that all architects will
like all solar panels on all buildings, but that we need to work with
individual needs to craft something likeable to each client from our
available pieces. I did this for many years as an HVAC engineer working
with quite a few fancy architects. Each one needed the HVAC systems exposed
pieces dealt with differently. Although this was more work, it made the
aesthetics acceptable.

So we can't just go out and proclaim solar panels to be beautiful. We need
to figure out what the client wants in terms of aesthetics (as well as
power) and mold our components to the needs. Showing diverse installations
that fit into a variety of molds will do a lot to expand the market.

Jeff

Jeffery D. Wolfe, P.E.
Principal
Global Resource Options, LLP
A Woman-Owned Limited Liability Partnership
4 Kibling Hill Road
P.O. Box 51
Strafford, Vermont 05072
802/765-4632