Module Wiring- reverse current [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin, Quicksilver Electrical solar at eagle-access.net
Thu May 18 09:23:06 PDT 2000

<x-flowed>

Here is some more correspondence with Siemens on the module wiring issue.

**********************

Hi Arthur,

     Thanks much for your help.  I have posted the overcurrent protection
requirements on the Home Power RE Wrench list, so that other PV electricians
may install modules properly.

     Is there any way we can learn the specifics of the test?  What voltage
was used to force sufficient reverse current through the modules to heat
them past their limit?  Can the open circuit voltage of a nominal 24 volt
series set really cause that much heating in another 24 volt nominal series
set?

     Under what conditions could this heating occur?  Are the fuses
protection against lightning induced surges?

     Thank you very much for your help in getting to the bottom of this.

                                                         Sincerely,

                                                         Drake Chamberlin

*********************

Mr.Chamberlin,
This e-mail is in response to your question to Arthur Rudin.
You had requested more information on the Inverse Current Overload Test. I
can tell you that when I conducted the test here, a power supply output of
greater than 30 volts was necessary to force 15 Amps through the module in
reverse bias. The primary reason for running the test is safety. A module
with poor interconnections or faulty cells might pose a fire hazard when
forced into reverse bias. Modules could be incorrectly wired, or a system
energy storage fault, or a lightning strike as you pointed out could
conceivably cause this to happen.

Regards,

Phil Capps

- - - - - - -
To send a message to the list use:

To view an archive of previous messages go to:
<<http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/>http://www.topica.com/lists
/RE-wrenches/

To unsubscribe send an email message to:

To check out who the other RE-Wrench participants are, go to
<<http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/>>http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenche
s/>

Hosted by Home Power magazine:
<<http://www.homepower.com>>http://www.homepower.com>