SOC [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Nelson, SunWise sunwise at win.bright.net
Tue May 2 20:47:40 PDT 2000

I'm finding this discussion about new battery preformance pretty
interesting.  I have had experience with new batteries that did not
preform well.  In conversations with Trojan, their tech sopke about
"exersizing the plates", but I always wondered if such "exerscizing"
might just be the manufacturer covering their butts.  I have installed
many new batteries that seemed to work well, "right out of the box".  I
even had one battery (880AH, 12V, T105) that I thought was wimpy from
day one, that has been replaced and the "new owners" (recycle em), are
really happy with their preformance (they abuse batteries).  Could they
have just broken them in?  Prior to that they may have never been
discharged below 50%, though they had seen EQ or regular high voltage
states (15.4+, 12V bat.)  Is it possible that not discharging a new
battery deeply could actually "damage" the battery?  I have often done a
few EQ's on a new battery, but I have many systems that many never have
seen much over a fifty percent discharge.  Is this bad?
Kurt Nelson
To send a message to the list use: <RE-wrenches at topica.com>

To view an archive of previous messages go to: <http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/

To check out who the other RE-Wrench participants are, go to <http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/>