Tiger Charging Rate [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell ozsolar at ipa.net
Sat Apr 22 15:50:26 PDT 2000

Wrenches,

I have on 500 Watt 12 volt tiger here in my shop set up on rolling cart to
use as a demo.  It helps me to show my customers all the components of a
solar energy system.  I have a Solar Boost 50 for a charge controller and I
have found it to work great.  I have noticed that is actually losing
charging current at high states of charge as Steve Wiley mentioned.  I still
think it is a great product.   By the way has anyone else noticed that the
Solar Boost 50 instruction book shows wiring a negative and a positive to
the same shunt!  I bet that had some interesting results for the person who
followed the picture exactly!    I have used several of them since the came
out and the book still shows it that way.    Also on the cart I have a
Trimetric 2020.

The tiger is rated at to have a 15 amp charger but I have found it to be
charging at over 27 amps and sometimes over 30 amps at lower voltages.  Has
any else noticed this on other inverters?

It really is a 500 watt inverter.  I've also noticed that is doesn't have
the ability to surge much over 500 watts.   If you intend to run loads with
surges  you better go with a UX series.  The Tigers have a very poor ability
to surge.

Later,
Travis Creswell
Ozark Solar