Selling PV or other RE [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell ozsolar at ipa.net
Tue Apr 18 12:47:24 PDT 2000

Fellow RE-Wrenches

I am wanting to integrate PV and Wind into a model home that we are thinking
about building.  I'll never be able to sell this place if it doesn't have
air conditioning so it will be hooked up to the grid.

If my only goal is to sell power back to the grid then I need to forget
about batteries and go with a  the new Trace Sun Tie (I think that is it).
There is also some others  battery less inverters  out there but I don't
know anything about them.   Any suggestions?  Grid Tied and no batteries can
make a lot sense.   1000 watts of solar actually = 1000 watts of solar and
the money saved by not having to buy batteries can go towards even more
solar plus the inverter is whole lot cheaper.   I just hate to loose the
independence, what I have always considered one of the best things about
solar, when the batteries go away.

Anyway, I'll probably go with a battery system so the home will have backup
power plus there are no tax incentives in Missouri anyway.

OK here is my question.  Assuming I use SW4048 I would need to limit the RE
energy sources to 4000 watts?  The budget won't allow 4000 watts of PV but a
3000 watt (whisper 175) wind generator is a possibility.  What happens if I
want to go over 4000 watts in the future?  Would I add a second SW4048?
Would they need to be separate from each other or could they wired into a
common DC buss (DC175 or Pulse PC500).  Most of the year the wind generator
won't be putting out the 3000 watts but I would have to design the
possibility into the system.

Thanks
Travis Creswell
Ozark Solar