Ampair 100 charge control [RE-wrenches]

Clive Wilkinson powersense at horizon.co.fk
Tue Apr 4 12:15:19 PDT 2000

Hi everyone

Anyone got any experience of the Ampair 100 wind turbine charge
regulator?

Local phone company keeps blowing up the charge regulator on their
Ampairs; this is a simple relay type regulator which cannot handle
open circuit voltage of 200v+ (this is on a 24v model).

It appears that volts are measured at the regulator and not at the
battery, therefore with a cut-off voltage of say 28v,  the battery is
very often actually only at 26.5v or thereabouts when it cuts out.

 Are there any off-the-shelf shunt regulators suitable to replace the
original regulator?

I have thought about Enermaxer and APT tapering diversion regulators,
but these each cost just about as much as the turbine itself.

Any suggestions welcomed!

Need something reliable, standard, not just experimental as sites are
remote (as in often accessible only by helicopter).

The Ampair 100 is excellent - it's the only micro wind charger that
has handled the dirty winds here.  BUT the regulator needs looking
at...

Many thanks  -  and I would like to say how much I have been enjoying
the posts on various topics, what a great list.  Re problems with
Trace, well it doesn't help when you are over 12 thousand
freight-miles from factory...  have had my struggles with getting hold
of a techie, but when successful in this their advice has been
spot-on.

Clive

Clive Wilkinson
PowerSense