More Info (than you wanted) [RE-wrenches]

Sharkey sharkey at mrsharkey.com
Thu Feb 24 16:29:20 PST 2000

	List;

	I've come to the conclusion that PC power supplies are designed to be run
from 230 VAC, and will also run from 115 volts with the assistance of the
'voltage doubler' circuit.
	First, a correction, my last mail indicated that the bus voltage at 115 v
with the voltage selector in 230 v (doubler 'off') was 124 volts DC, when
in fact it is 164 volts. This makes the lower limit change quite a bit I
think.
	Next test was to connect the PS to the battery bank in my EV, 18
series-connected T-105's, for a total of 118 volts (about an amp of charge
current flowing). A small spark as the capacitors charged, then nothing. No
fan, no output. I checked my connection and tried again. Nothing continued
to happen. Then I pulled the charge disconnect, open circuiting my 8
series-connected PV's. Connected the PV's at 166 volts to the PS, and it
came to life. Bus voltage, 158v.
	The moral of the story, OK to run your PC on DC, but you'd better have a
really high-voltage system! I'll continue to watch for a power supply that
runs exclusively on 115v, as this may have a lower bus voltage, and may be
able to run on a system with a more reasonable voltage system.

	-S
To send a message to the list use: <RE-wrenches at topica.com>

To view an archive of previous messages go to: <http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/

Hosted by Home Power magazine: <http://www.homepower.com>