Trace Settings [RE-wrenches]

Sharkey sharkey at mrsharkey.com
Fri Feb 18 20:32:17 PST 2000

	OK, Point Taken! BUT.... What do you do when the customer is knowledgeable
enough to change their own settings and doesn't write them down? For that
matter, the settings on my home system change from season to season, and
are completely reprogrammed *four times* each June and July when the system
is installed at the OCF.
	We are talking about a sophisticated device here, one that should be fully
capable of storing and recalling multiple configurations without scrolling
through multiple layers of confusing menus. Fer Cryin Out Loud! What if you
had to set the time, date, modem, printers, video, HDD and FDD type, etc
every time you shut your computer off and turned it back on? I've seen
pocket calculators with better memories than some of the electronics we
work with daily in RE.
	When I crabbed at Vanderhoof last year at the OCF, he told me to put a
small gel-cell on the DC input to the Trace to keep it alive during power
downs. I think an after-market EPROM memory module with the aforementioned
store and recall functions would be a big seller! How many of you would buy
one (or more)? Even just being able to dump the data back into the SW with
a laptop or PC would be a big improvement. I work with business telephone
switches every day that can do this.

	-S

To send a message to the list use: <RE-wrenches at topica.com>

To view an archive of previous messages go to: <http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/