More Trace unresponsiveness [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze econnect at snowcrest.net
Thu Feb 17 09:40:10 PST 2000

<x-flowed>Hiya Group,
I've been trying to find out as much as I can about the new Trace PS
Inverter series before stocking or recommending them.
The PS inverters are a lower cost sinewave (actually, Trace's "Mayan
Temple" approximation of a sinewave) machine. 2500 Watts, comes in
12V or 24V inputs. It has a new transformer topology, using five
instead of three as in the SW series. It has NO user interface except
for on/off and maybe LBCO. It comes with more or less the standard SW
defaults. You can change the settings only via plugging in a SWRC or
SWCA.
As it ships now, the thing is a Wrench nightmare. Here's why:
In spite of years of telling Trace to give us non-volatile RAM in the
SW so the inverter does not revert to factory defaults when you power
it down, they STILL won't do it. The PS has no user interface. That
means the Wrench will have to set it up in the field (after acquiring
an SWRC to add to his list of required tools) and hope to God that
the customer never trips the input breaker or powers it down to clean
the battery terminals, or ????.
Of course, you could just leave the machine at factory defaults. Any
of you EVER do that? I never have in all the installations and tech
support I've done. If/when a power down occurs, you're in for a
service call that Trace won't pay for. You'll also have to answer the
question "Why did you sell me this turkey?" before you can charge
your customer for a call either.
Another, though smaller, wart is the 20W idle draw. No big deal
except that the default search mode wattage is set to 48W like the
SWs. So you pretty much have to turn it on and leave it on.
None of this will make a difference to the deep discounters, they'll
just sell the hell out of it for next to nothing and Trace tech help
will be even busier then they are now. That business expense will be
passed to ALL of us in the form of higher prices and piss poorer
response times.
What to do?
How about an email barrage? It's cheap, easy, and just maybe effective.
Since it all seems to boil down to a buck at Trace anymore, shoot it at
svanderhoof at traceengineering.com
broppenecker at traceengineering.com
cfreitas at traceengineering.com
I'd really LIKE to think feedback like this will make a difference,
but maybe I'm kidding myself. We live in hope.
bob-O

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection
PO Box 203, Hornbrook, CA 96044
800.945.7587 fax 530-475-3401