24 VDC Statpower et al Was:Todd chargers in 24 VDC systems [RE-wrenches]

bill loesch bill_loesch at compuserve.com
Mon Feb 14 16:51:42 PST 2000

Hi Steve,

 I have not tried making a 24 volt unit out of my two tc40s[40 amp charger]
yet, but that is exactly what Statpower says can be done in their website
under technotes/chargers/faq.

If you want really heavy duty 3 step charging, selectable for wet, gel, or
agm, David Smead / AmplePower offers a 55 amp 12 volt unit which can be
series stacked for 24 volts and simultaneously parallel stacked for up to
220 amps.  And, if you stored this in the unheated crawl space of one of
the other querries I don't think there would be any problem of freezing
pipes<G>.

Bill Loesch
bill_loesch at compuserve.com
Saint Louis Solar
Saint Louis MO

Message text written by INTERNET:RE-wrenches at topica.com
>Yes, I suppose just like you did with Todd you could series the Truecharge
40+ to 24 volts, but I have some doubts about their advanced functions and
haven't tried it:
They do have some cycling where they shut down and follow battery voltage
for 5 seconds.  I run two parallel and they do that the first time almost
simultaneously but the second or third cycles they perform are not quite
simultaneous so I suspect big trouble there if used in series. Of course .
With center tap connected to battery center tap, it should work.  I don't
think current differences would be too much either.But I would still like
see 24 volt models and larger amp ratings too.

Steve Willey   www.backwoodssolar.com<

To send a message to the list use: <RE-wrenches at topica.com>

To view an archive of previous messages go to: <http://www.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/

Hosted by Home Power magazine: <http://www.homepower.com>