PV Rack on Slate Roof? [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze econnect at snowcrest.net
Mon Dec 20 08:20:49 PST 1999

<x-flowed>Dear Steve ETAL,
My basic feeling about the PV GFP is that it is a product developed
to fill a Code requirement for which there is no need. A solution in
search of a problem. Perhaps you could make a case for it in a high
voltage array, but 12, 24, 48V? Naw.
I've installed a couple to please inspectors, but the way you have to
route the grounding is devious and I have NO idea whether the bugger
even works. Trace doesn't even have a can to put it in unless you get
it as part of a Power Module, but AEE does.
Best, Bob-O

>I wonder what folks are thinking about the PV ground fault interrupters.
>Trace seems to have one code accepted for power room installation, yet we
>have had no requests for this even for systems installed in tightly enforced
>areas.  Mostly perhaps because people are favoring ground mounts over roof,
>nevertheless we have had NO requests at all from electricians.  Question is,
>what is the future of this or like devices and what shall we do with
>stocking and cataloging it in this coming year?
>
>Steve Willey   www.backwoodssolar.com
>Backwoods Solar Electric Systems

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection
PO Box 203, Hornbrook, CA 96044