Who else [RE-wrenches]/lightning protection

Clive Wilkinson powersense at horizon.co.fk
Thu Nov 25 06:11:54 PST 1999

Hi guys!

Being the only active wrench in the Falkland Islands, a lonesome
situation,  I was pleased to be asked to join this list.  Great having
something to tap into if needed, and hopefully contribute to -  living
way offroad,  I am used to quick fixes.  Bob-O (Hi!) has been/is a
tower of strength but of course he's a busy busy man.

My wife Rosemary is on a heap of craft lists, spinning etc.  She says
these usually have a ListMom (guess that makes you the ListDad
Michael!) who rides herd.  If folks get way off topic or
unpleasant/argumentative the ListMom wields her cyberwhip and turns
them back on track.  If they keep being a pain in the rear end, they
get bounced, being allowed to read but not post.

My thoughts for what they're worth is that this list is so new, it's
still in a suck-it-and-see stage.  Why not be a bit more flexible,
allow anyone installing/maintaining/troubleshooting RE 'normal'
systems ie wind, sun, hydro  to join.  Not open it way up to  people
who are simply interested in RE.   But keep a beady eye on things and
issue a set of rules to everyone (also normal on most  other lists).
Point out in these rules that there is an archive for consultation
before posting a question, to avoid endless questions about the same
things - and if it's something basic they should first go ask the guy
who sold them the equipment.  Tell them this isn't a chat list, it's
hands-on stuff.

If the list is opened to all and sundry, without rules, there'll be a
flood of mail and no-one will have time to read it all,  never mind
respond.

And now to tap into the collective wisdom -

Lightning.  I install domestic size systems which include Trace SW
inverters.  How can I best protect the input and output of these from
transient over voltage?  I asked Trace, who said get in touch with the
experts, Harger being one.  Faxed Harger with typical system details
and zilch since.  We get a fair bit of lightning damage down here and
Trace say this is a common problem.
Am not interested in SOCs because you can't tell if they have taken a
hit until they burst. You also need fast fuse protection with them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

cheers for now

Clive